- In physics, maths is used as a tool to solve problems related to the relationships between quantities.
- Without basic maths skills you could still understand some concepts but would not be able to solve problems.
- Sometimes the language of maths is used to explain and describe not just perform calculations.
- Qualitative descriptions of data include the direction and relationship in which two variables change (e.g. as time increases, distance increases proportionally).
- Quantitative descriptions of data include numerical values (e.g. the speed of the object is 5ms-1).
- Graphs are visual representations used to represent relationships.
Some common non linear graphs.
Interpreting the gradient and intercept of straight line graphs
How the radian is defined and why the angle is the same as the sin of the angle for small angles
exercises and tutorials
Particularly useful when solving circuit problems using Kirchoff´s laws, how to solve for two unknowns when you have two equations.
Some examples of how to substitute from one equation into another