What to expect
Mechanics is the study of the interactions between physical bodies and their consequent motion.
After studying this topic, you should be able to:
- Define the quantities used to describe motion (displacement, velocity, acceleration).
- Derive a set of equations that give the relationship between the displacement, velocity, acceleration and time when the acceleration is constant.
- Solve problems involving constant acceleration in 1 and 2-dimensions.
- Understand the effects of forces.
- Relate unbalanced forces to motion.
- Consider energy and the capabilities that this gives to bodies.
- Define power and efficiency.
- Learn about types of collision in terms of conservation of momentum.