In this topic we look at:
- oscillations of bodies that move back and forth periodically
- progressive waves that transfer energy and information through space
- the interference effects of these progressive waves, and other phenomena
- standing waves, where waves combine to become stationary (and therefore transferring no energy at all)
You will learn about simple harmonic motion, dispersion and guitar string frequencies, and be able to answer the following questions:
- How does a force that is proportional to displacement result in an oscillation?
- Are all oscillations simple harmonic?
- What is the connection between oscillations and waves?
- Are waves really made of an infinite number of wavelets?